Train accidents are common in Pakistan, where the railways have seen decades of decline due to corruption, mismanagement and lack of investment.
Nomzamo councillor Sitembile Mfecane, who visited the family afterwards, says the fire may have been started by a candle.
‘My house is burning and all they see is a story in it that they must be allowed to take pictures’, said the minister.
Firefighters are currently on the scene and no injuries have been reported so far.
The City of Johannesburg has drafted a rough policy that will see victims of natural disasters in the city receive temporary emergency accommodation (TEA).
Provincial disaster management was also on the scene, providing humanitarian relief to the affected families.
Gift of the Givers, the Red Cross and the Gauteng social development dept are working together with Cogta officials to offer humanitarian support.
According to a local ward councillor, the children were locked inside the shack when a fire broke out inside.
On Monday night, various pictures and videos of the fire were posted on social media.
Prime Minister Hubert Minnis warned the death toll of 44 was likely to climb ‘significantly’.